April 13, 2009

birthday boy

Hallelujah! I finally made a birthday boy card I love! This fantastic sketch comes from Laurie for this week's Weekend Sketch Challenge - isn't the sketch fabulous? It's very me - look at all that white space waiting to be ignored, ha! I've been seeing a lot of cards I love lately using Wild About You and I've been wanting to do something with it for a while. I stamped the lion in Pumpkin Pie two times and then cut out his little face to pop up. The mane was done by stamping the lion in So Saffron and then just dabbing the stamp in Pumpkin Pie again. It kind of gave it a stippled look. I couldn't figure out what to do with embellishments - where do I put the ribbon?! I just added the brads to add a little bit of focus towards the top of the card. Voila! The sentiment is stamped in Versamark ink and heat embossed with white embossing powder.

That's it for now - thanks for stopping by.
Karen



recipe -
stamps: wild about you, on your birthday
ink: versamark, pumpkin pie, so saffron
paper: bashful blue, brilliant blue, whisper white cardstock, jersey shore dsp
accessories: silver brads, white embossing powder, stampin' dimensionals

20 comments:

  1. Congratulations Karen! I know what you mean - it's hard to think of ideas for boys and men but you've definitely got a winner here - it's fantastic.
    Love the design and the colours are just stunning - great job, love the idea.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Karen!!! Don't tell me you've caught my cutting bug!!! Hahaha!!

    xxSarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Karen, this is really a darling card! I love this stamp set and have seen tons of cute cards using it, but still haven't crafted one of my own. I think this is one of the cutest ones I've seen yet! I do love this layout and I really like how you added those brads. I almost think I could handle that whitespace on this layout, although I may be tempted to use an embossing folder on it:)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this Lion - he seems to be popping up everywhere telling me to buy him!!! Gorgeous card as always - my kind of look too.
    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous card! First time visitor to your blog, and I'll certainly be back! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE IT!!! The colours are fantastic! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it Karen! Those colors are so perfect for a boy card and the brads really set off the circle element. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's fabulous Karen!! Perfect boy card!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE how you did the brads on a curve to highlight the circle. AWESOME boy card!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute! Love the brads!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sah-weet!!!!!!!! LOVE this design, Karen! Wild About You is one of those stamp sets I'd always wished I had purchased as I've seen so many neat things created with it! ... and this is certainly one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love, love, love this card! AND I just bought this set! YAHOO! I'll be tucking your idea away to try! I'm always in need of boy card ideas and this is a great one! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH MY! This is so cute! I will have to case it for sure but first I'll have to get Wild about you! LOL It is fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this is adorable! I love the colours you chose and the little brads are just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this card, Have had my eye on this set for a while now... can't buy any more...
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Sarah-Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMW, totally adorable! Love this sketch, I missed this one somehow!
    LeAnne

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am totally with you on struggling to make decent looking masculine cards. However, I have to say ... I don't see how you could possibly have any difficulties, all your cards are so perfect! I might have to case your card (if you don't mind) as I have this set but could come up with something ... I love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just lovely. I love this stamp set so much too. It is one of my old favourites.

    Love the card so much it looks sooo cute.

    Liam

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wild About You has NEVER looked so good!! :-) I adore how you added the brads around the circle...so clever!!

    Thanks so much for playing!!

    ReplyDelete